Tuesday, March 4, 2014

12 Weeks (less a day)

Good news? Duh, I made it!! Last week in the first trimester. Holla!! Bad news? I still kind of feel like poop. It's better than it was, but it definitely hasn't magically disappeared.

Things I'm starting to notice:

My belly's getting harder. Which I only notice because I have a very *cough* soft and chubby *cough* belly, so any firmness is noticeable and welcome. I keep making Tony poke me, which completely freaks him out. Haha!

Food is starting to become appealing again. Nothing crazy, but there are things that make me want to puke less than others. Like cucumbers. And I had the gardenburger at Red Robin last weekend, and it rocked. my. world. I'm also way more sensitive to sugar than I used to be. I had a glass of iced tea at home the other night and was gagging because it was so sweet. And Tony said he put the regular amount of sugar in it (which really isn't a ton). So now he's cut that amount in half. Which I think is really good for both of us.

People continue to be really sweet to me. And are always very interested in what's going on with us and the future with our little bebe. I really do love it, but at this point, my whole goal has been to survive. I really haven't thought any further than getting out of the first trimester. Once I feel better, then I'll start thinking about names and decorating and baby shower stuff and all the goodies that come along with this. One thing I did realize, though, is that our baby will come before all the best Holidays this year (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas). And let's face it, kids totally make the Holidays more fun. So that really excited me. :)


Something that really caught me off guard is when my friend said something to me about "mom shaming". Now, I know what pet-shaming is and it is high-larious!! Honestly, one of my favorite things on Pinterest.  Mom shaming is apparently a litttle less positive. Apparently there's the whole "keeping up with the Jones's" mentality in some circles. Like "OMG you didn't breast feed" or "OMG you're not using cloth diapers" or "OMG you had an epidural and didn't give birth drug-free and 'all-natural'". Yikes! I never realized mommy's could be so judgy. And though I finally feel like I'm a part of the pregnancy "club", I don't want any part of the mom shaming club. My goal for pregnancy, labor and parenting is much like my goal for my first trimester - to survive. If that means an epidural and a direct shot of heavy duty pain meds, then so be it. I have every single intention in the world to breast feed. I know, breast is best, yada yada. But, sometimes it doesn't work out. And if it doesn't work out, I will not be beating myself up over it. We've prayed for a long time for this blessing, and I intend to enjoy every bit of it (again, after the first trimester) and won't give a second thought to anyone or anthing that doesn't share in my joy and isn't there to support whatever decisions Tony and I decide to make. If I've learned anything from my friends and family over the last 3 years, it's that there is no "right" way to parent. There are a hundred "right" ways. A thousand!




Thought I'd share a couple of the pet-shaming. That stuff is fuuunny!!

1 comment:

  1. Moms can be very rude but they can also be your best alias. I ended up having a c-section, I couldn't breastfeed, and I did other things that other didn't approve of. You honestly have to do whatever it takes to survive. I can't wait until you get to find out what your LO is. I'm still just as excited for you.

    ReplyDelete